Music Monday #7 | Boraaa: Music Monday #7

Music Monday #7

20:00




I've decided to get more organised on my blog. It needs updating regularly and I need to get organised with the posts... so this week is just the beginning of it! Starting of course, with a little bit of music. I've got to say, this is a pretty random mix of genres to put into one playlist, and hopefully there is something on here for everyone. But these are my favourite songs of the week.

1. Ten Tonne Skeleton // Royal Blood 
It seems like recently you cannot go anywhere without hearing of Royal Blood, and their recent debut album proves why. Personally, this is one of my favourite albums of the year so far, and I find it incredible that there are only two people in the band! Whilst it could be seen that there are plenty of these 'duo' bands around and recently some have been slated (The Black Keys by Jack White), it seems that Royal Blood are not copying, but are instead reinventing the rock sound - if they can't perform it live, they ain't recording it! Their album has even been nominated for the Barclaycard Mercury Music Prize, my vote definitely goes to these guys. 

'I can't erase what you've done, let's burn the past, forget the truth, I'm still more than him, I'm still loving you.' 

2. Did You Hear The Rain? // George Ezra
I feel as if George Ezra is prone to the 'Rick Astley Syndrome,' where his voice doesn't match the way he looks, but in Ezra's case - it works!! I chose this version from the album because of the intro. My God, the intro! I saw him live at V and was just blown away by the soulfulness in his voice, which is evident in this song. I feel that George Ezra has given the folk-indie genre that was popular a couple of years back, a good kick up the backside. This song is definitely one of the darker songs on the album, and is the song that I believe, sets him apart from all the other singer/songwriter folks out there. 

'Did your siblings tell you I was wasting up your time, oh now your wasting mine, you put me back in line, and I'm counting every link and I guess you think that's fine.'


3. Isis // Yeah Yeah Yeahs
I just can't get enough of Karen O and her voice, that can communicate vulnerability one minute, and then be grotesque and brazen the next. I feel that this E.P was a sign that the band were growing up, as it is darker and more twisted with the drawn-out echoes and screams throughout, and is clear that they paid more attention to the minor details than in previous recordings. 'Isis' is no exception. It sounds as if it was taken from 'Show Your Bones' (their 2006 album) but is heavier, and more engaging. 

'All my loves are hidden in pieces, all my loves are within a wild night.'

4. Puppet On A String // Night Beats
Any band that cites 60s Texas psych as an influence, I'm likely to listen to, and am likely to be let down. There are not many bands that are able to capture what made those bands special. So you can imagine my surprise when I discovered Night Beats! They've perfectly managed to capture the hallucinogenic aura of bands such as The 13th Floor Elevators and Golden Dawn. I believe this is a band that I'm going to have to put on my bucket list to see live - it will be mesmerising. 

 5. Time Will Tell // Blood Orange
This is probably the most recent discovery of mine, as I first listened to it after the AIM Awards as it was on the record that was in the goodie bag. It was probably the song that stuck with me after listening to the whole record. He's worked with some of the biggest names in the industry, such as Florence Welch and The Chemical Brothers, but it is only now that people are taking notice of Blood Orange aka Devonte Hynes. I think his songs are always 'growers' from what I've listened to so far. I had to listen to this song a few times, before I truly appreciated it, so you may have to listen to it a couple of times too. 

'Time will tell if you can figure this and work it out, no-one's waiting for you anyway so don't be stressed now.'




So, they're my favourite tracks of the week. Let me know what your favourite's are this week below, I'm always looking for new songs to listen to! 

Bora x




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images